Sunday, February 17, 2013

Workbench - Tail Vise Installed

Over the last couple weeks, I've been working towards getting the tail vise put on my bench.  After cutting out the cavity in the bench top, I began working on the end cap.  I glued a couple pieces of maple together to make the end cap about 2-1/2" thick.  I chiseled out the dovetail slots to match up with the dovetails that I cut in the front of the workbench.  Next, using a template that I printed from the website for my vise, I marked the holes where the vise would mount.  I had to make several holes with an auger bit and then clean it up with a chisel to make the large hole for the vise screw.




 To install the end cap, I glued the dovetail joint on the front and fastened the rest with lag screws.  I drilled the pilot holes in the end cap extra wide to allow for movement in the wood due to moisture change.  The next step will be to cut a block that will screw into the vise.  This block will hold a dog, which will be the clamping device.


2 comments:

  1. I knew you were talented, but this site and your work are both awesome. Can't wait to see it first hand this summer.

    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little late in replying, but Thanks! I've really enjoyed working on it. Look forward to seeing you guys soon.

      Delete